What is Hospice?
Hospice is available to the patient when curative measures have been exhausted and life prognosis is six months or less. Hospice is not a place, it is a service that:
- Addresses the patient’s physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs
- Provides assistance to the patient’s family and caregivers
- Takes place in the patient’s home or in a home-like setting
- Concentrates on managing a patient’s pain and other symptoms so that they may live comfortaby as possible and make the most of the time that remains
- Believes the quality of life to be as important as the length of life